Good progress has been made on the construction of the City’s newest community centre at 5320 Ninth Line in Ward 10. In addition to the important work going on inside the building, the parking lot is now really starting to take shape as well as the grading of the 55-acre site. Construction of the outdoor amenities (splash pad, playground, basketball courts and skate park) has just begun to the north of the building. As well, the traffic signals became operational earlier this month in preparation for providing safe vehicle and pedestrian access to the site. We are still aiming for a spring 2021 opening!
Staff overseeing the project have provided a high-level point form listing of recently completed and upcoming activities plus some photos of summer construction progress:
Status of Current Work:
- Grading associated with the Storm Water Management pond ongoing
- Grading and compaction of soccer turf fields ongoing
- Fencing installation in progress
- Foundations and walls for Skate Park in progress
- Seat walls around Basketball Court in progress
- Parks Bunker roof complete
- Dome vaults complete
- General site cut and fill (top soil re-distribution) is ongoing
- Interior finishes such as drywall framing of pool and gym ceilings continues
- Drywall installation in progress on Second Floor – corridor, multipurpose rooms
- Floor and wall tile installation in progress in Gym Change Rooms
- Ongoing electrical, mechanical, sprinklers, plumbing and ductwork installation throughout
- Air vapour barrier for exterior cladding complete and installation of clips to support metal panels in progress
- Traffic signals at north and south entrances complete.
- Per Ontario Provincial Regulations all workers and site visitors to adhere to physical distancing rules and screening protocols.
- Continue with site grading of turf fields, storm water management pond, future Phase 2
- Continue with site cut and fill throughout
- Continue with exterior forming and concrete work for exterior seating, Skate Park etc.
- Interior finishes in pool, gym and change rooms to continue
- Continue electrical, mechanical, spriklers, plumbing and ductwork installation
- Clips to support exterior metal cladding to continue
- Continue with monthly meetings with REC and Parks
- Continue with monthly Councillor meetings